Monday, December 15, 2008

Otto Vernon Elder (1899 - 1980)




The above 1932 letter fueled my interest in genealogy. My Uncle Otto received this letter from a Mr .Wheeler, grandson of Mary Elder Wheeler. Read how his aging grandmother recalled her 1790’s boat trip to Western Kentucky.

Uncle Otto had gone to work in St Louis following his 1923 graduation from the University of Kentucky. I took this photo in 1951 when he was visiting me while I was attending UK. The signs point to two venues of Sports Champions. Stoll Field was home to UK Football Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant. Across the street, UK Basketball Coach Adolph Rupp was settling into his “new” Memorial Coliseum.

Today, my brother and I, both UK graduates and Kentucky Colonels, keep up with UK sports at http://www.ukathletics.com/.

No comments: